Warning! There are flesh-eating bacteria in Florida waters!
Beachgoers be carefull! They are dangerous! A middle-aged person with chronic health problems died from it last Tuesday in Sarasota County.
A bacteria called vibrio vulnificus has now invaded waters around Jacksonville in Florida. These creepy microorganisms are dangerous. Anyone with an open cut needs to stay out of the water.
Due to Florida’s water perfect conditions (salty and warm), these bacteria are abundant. They can also be contracted by eating shellfish carrying them such as oysters.
Vibrio vulnificus is a rare flesh-eating bacteria. It’s found naturally occurring in warm, brackish seawater and it’s one people with weaker immune systems should avoid at all costs. This flesh-eating bacteria causes the soft tissue in your body to die. This microorganism kills nearly 50% of the people who contract it.
2011 was the worst recent year for the bacteria in the Sunshine State with 35 confirmed cases and 13 deaths, and 41 confirmed cases and 11 deaths in 2013. In 2014, there have been at least 11 confirmed cases of the flesh-eating bacteria and 3 deaths according to reports.
If you think you’ve contracted the flesh-eating bacteria in Florida waters or anywhere else, seek medical help immediately.