Very creepy scratching sounds across my carpet

Home Forums Mystery Booms and Loud Rumblings Very creepy scratching sounds across my carpet

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Berkeley Babe 1 day, 19 hours ago.

• Author

Minapgp
    Participant

Hello all,

I’m new to this site but joined so I might get your opinion on a very unusual – very unexplained – event that happened to me over 29 years ago and I have yet to figure out. to this day it still bring goosebumps to my skin…

I was in grade 2 at the time and living in a modest floor-level apartment with my mother and younger brother. It was late at night (I’m guessing around 2 or 3 in the morning as I didn’t have an alarm clock in my room at the time). I was restless and unable to sleep, so laid awake in bed staring at the ceiling.

That was when I heard it. A distinct scratching sound, which sounded like someone raking their nails across the carpet in the living room (one room over from my bedroom).

At first, I didn’t think much of it, given the fridge made odd noises on occasion and the neighbours upstairs could be loud at times, but this was very different. There was a distinct rhythm to it. Scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch scratch scratch – and pause…. scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch scratch scratch – and pause… and so forth. What caught my attention (and ended up unnerving me) was that the sound was not localized. It appeared to be MOVING around the living room in the very same scratching pattern described above. Over and over again until eventually (to my childlike horror), it started making its way down the hall toward my room.

I was utterly petrified. I didn’t know if the sound was real or what I should do.

As it came down the hall, the louder and more obvious the scratching sound became. I held my breath and closed my eyes tight. I both wanted and didn’t want to know what it was all at once. Please note – I did NOT own any pets at the time and could hear my younger brother snoring in the next room, so I know it wasn’t him.

I tucked my leg back under the covers before the sound reached my door. That’s when the unimaginable happened…

Just when I’d convinced myself that I was hearing things (and my imagination had gotten the better of me), the same scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch, scratch sound came into MY room.

So many people I tell this story to tease me or try to downplay the fear I felt in this moment, but let me please say to you how scared stiff I was.

The scratching sound moved along the carpet – in my room – almost in a perfect circle. I didn’t dare open my eyes or try to see what it was, I was simply too afraid, but I could easily hear it’s progress along the carpet through my space. Like someone scratching the fibres with their nails, the same pattern over and over again with one or two seconds between it’s advance. At the time, I feared something was about to grab me… but to my relief, it never did.

Instead, once the scratching sound had made a single 360 degree tour of my room, it headed back out the door and slowly, worked its way down the hall towards my mother room at the very end. Once it got there, it was too far for me to listen in and I never heard it again.

When I woke the next day, I told my mother about what happened and how upset I was. She laughed at me and said it was just a dream. She heard nothing of the sort and it was probably just the building shifting. When I insisted, she advised that none of our windows had been left open overnight (so no animals could invade while we slept) and we lived in the bottom floor of our apartment (so it couldn’t have been lower neighbours). Her reassurances only served to creep me out more.

To this day I have no idea what the sound was and anyone I share this story with thinks I’m nuts. I know I wasn’t imagining it nor did I dream it. It couldn’t have been an animal – the pattern was just too perfect.

Has anyone else experienced such a sound before? I know what “house” noises are and this definitely wasn’t that. It literally moved from one room to another and I could trace its entire progress through my home. Damn myself for not being braver and just looking – could have saved me a lot of curiosity now, but I’d never been that scared in my life.

What do you think it was?

• #56015 Reply

Berkeley Babe

I once experienced something similar, when I was a teenager. I was all alone in the house late at night. We had no pets. TV and radio were off. I was in the kitchen making something and I heard a definite scratching or scuffing sound coming from the hallway. It was a bit like someone dragging their feet on the hallway carpet as they walked. The sound stopped fairly quickly. (It was NOT a house noise). Well, I was FROZEN with fear for a solid minute. Then I grabbed a big ole kitchen knife and went out into the hallway to investigate. Nothing or no one was there, of course. I checked the entire house to no avail. I told my family about it when they arrived home and was met with the usual skeptical banter: “hearing things”, “house settling”, “imagination”.

The next day at school I told my friends about it, but none of them took me very seriously either. I tell you, there was something ominous/evil connected to whatever was making that sound. I did not imagine it. The incident has stayed with me for 40 years. And now at my old age of 57, I have certainly lived through much more traumatic events. But for pure fright, that was still the scariest moment of my life.

Minapgp – hun, I don’t know if we were both dealing with the same phenomenon in this case. But your story gave me goose flesh because it was reminiscent of my incident. Did you sense any evil from this mystery scratcher? Hopefully this thread will give us some answers.

• #56017 Reply

Devils Tower
    Participant

I am 43 years old…I am a born again Christian as of last year…I live alone, just miles east of Devils Tower, WY in the Black Hills…Very sparsely populated area…I have two German Shepherds…If you would have asked me prior to me being born again, I would have told you how much I believe in aliens and UFO’s, and so look forward to when Star Trek life comes to us in a future not far away…HOWEVER…I do not believe in aliens or UFO’s anymore, mostly, because the study of how calling upon Jesus Christ ENDS every single alien abduction on record…This was information I had never come across until mid 2017…I have heard the stories of such abductions, but they INTENTIONALLY leave out the part, where when people called out to Jesus Christ and it INSTANTLY ended the abduction nightmare…This left me feeling upset…I had always wanted to believe in aliens and UFO’s, and was a Mulder fan and believed “THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE..”…NO MORE…I have done EXTENSIVE studies with my Bible and online resources only to find out about a subject, as I stated earlier, I had NO BELIEF in at all…Demons…In the last year, I have encounters with dark shadows that moved about, grew and shrunk at will, and seemed about as evil as anything I had ever seen in all my life…I have had encounters with other things I cannot nor will go into in this forum…It would be hard for me to believe the things I have seen, except as I stated, I have two dogs, and EVERY SINGLE TIME I have encountered these entities, my dogs went BERSERK….Hair up, growling, staring STRAIGHT INTO THE EYES of a creature that did NOT “appear” to be there…I can tell when they are staring straight into the eyes of something, I have had my dogs nearly 10 years, and most of those years it was just me and them….I am telling you out right…DEMONS EXIST…Demonic ENTITIES EXIST…There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO DOUBT…I do not do drugs and have not had a drop of alcohol in years…I am not crazy, well, anymore crazy than the rest of are : ) To me, and from the things I have encountered over the past year, sounds to me like one of those entities in both stories here…And I am telling you something else…Be Careful…These things tend to ATTACH themselves to a person, they like familiarity…To both people and locations…Don’t know why, but that has been my understanding both Biblical and otherwise…God Bless, and hope you are both saved in Christ, as HE is your ONLY defense against such things…Hope this was helpful…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Devils Tower.
  • #56134 Reply

Berkeley Babe

I’m new to this website. I generally don’t believe in hocus pocus. (Well, maybe a little bit, such as my carpet incident). But mostly, I’ve always been a skeptic. I usually think there is a rational explanation for most things. But some of the stuff I’m reading on this site is FREAKING me the heck out! I’ve had the sensation for some time now that something really catastrophic is coming our way. It does almost seem like end-times. I don’t know if I prefer to remain ignorant and not let this stuff bother me or study it further and prepare for it, whatever “it” is.

Devil’s Tower ~ I believe you. I don’t think you’re crazy. I’m glad you have your dogs to protect you. I also hope you have a gun. It sounds like a precarious situation to be in. I wouldn’t want to live alone in a rural area.
    Because another thing that’s been happening to me lately, is seeing shadows/shapes out of the corner of my eyes. When I turn to look directly at these visions, there is nothing there. I figured it’s my aging eyesight. I’m not so sure anymore. Man, I’m getting the heebee jeebees.

• #56608 Reply

Devils Tower
    Participant

Hey B.B. – Your feeling the same thing that millions upon millions are feeling all right now…The thing is, your not alone, if even no one is around…You can always call upon Jesus Christ…And just to put it out, in the area I live in, I have many guns, kinda have too…Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Rattlesnakes, you just never know what is behind the house when you go outside, or what lies in wait around the corner…never know…Always better to be prepared and not need said preparations than too need them and not have them I always say…Learned that lesson so many times the hard way, now I try to prepare for anything at any time…Cannot always be fully prepared for the unknown, but you can do your best…Always be something out there that will leave you going, HUH…Guess I wasn’t prepared for THAT!!! : ) but, you can be the NEXT time…Anyways…Animal die off’s…Weather no one alive has ever seen or heard of, earthquakes have increased over 1500% just in my lifetime of 43 years…These are the signs that are spelled out WORD for WORD in the Bible…I am not trying to push anything on you ma’am, but I would rather bring it up here, and have you at least think about it tonight going to sleep, than too worry about you facing the coming judgement and not having accepted Christ and His payment for your sins…You don’t have to go to some church, you don’t have too go confess your sins to some guy in a costume…Nope…You can talk to Him right now, with no one around, and let it be just between the two of you, no one would ever have to know…Except you and Him…Let me throw a couple of verses your way, and you think about it…Don’t have too say two words too me, it has nothing to do with me anyways, it is all about you and Him…ANd believe me when I say, there is nothing you have done He won’t forgive you for, and He is waiting RIGHT NOW this very second for you…With open arms…Trust me on that…
    Romans 10:13
    13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
    1 Corinthians 15:3-4
    3 Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
    4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
    I am no saint ma’am…I waited until last year to do this…But He found me, and my life has been forever changed ever since…Not kidding…Those dark shadows your speaking of…Scary stuff eh…I will not even give my thoughts as to what that might be, but I will say this, no gun in the world could defend you against it, if I am correct in my thoughts…Only one thing…Jesus, and it so very simple…I have watched things flee by calling upon Him to defend me that I will never admit too out loud for I know, others to think I was bat poo nuts…But I seen what I seen, and I seen what happened when I called upon Jesus, and have had to do it more than once…So…a few things ma’am…First off….I have heard it called the ABC’s of salvation…
    A) admit your a sinner
    B) Believe Christ died and rose again paying for all our sins…
    C) call upon Him
    With all the belief in your heart, and it could go as simple as this ma’am…Jesus I know you died and were raised from the dead to pay for my sins, I accept that payment for my sins, and call upon you to seal me with your Holy Spirit, Thank You Jesus Christ..And from there it is all about the kind of relationship you choose to have with Him…Between you and Him…No one else…That easy…You may want to repent of your sins to Him, always a helpful thing to do, but again, that is between you and Him…Next…When dealing with things we know are there, and we do not want to be there, this is pretty easy too…Jesus Christ please defend me against all things seen and unseen, please Jesus Christ protect me, defend me right now Jesus Christ…That will stop any interference from any entity you do not want around…Okay…I will include you in my prayers this evening, and I hope I was in now way offensive or off putting, I only want to be a help in any way I can…Hope that helps ma’am…Ever have any questions or anything just shoot me a message, glad to help in any way I can…Also have quite a few contacts I have made in the last year, can lead you to others that help if your even interested…Anyway…Hope this was some help…

• #57764 Reply

Berkeley Babe

Devil’s Tower – I’m curious as to what you think these shadows/shapes are or what they might be capable of.I’m noticing them more and more often. Every couple of days, I “think” I’m seeing a mouse or small rodent darting across my apartment floor. My cat does not react to it however. She isn’t picking up on it. But one strange new thing she’s been doing lately, is suddenly running to the front door of my apartment and sniffing under the door. As if she senses someone/something out in the hall. When I go to check, there is no one out there. She’s never done this before in the 17 years I’ve had her. I wonder if all of this is just my nerves due to tremendous personal pressures right now. And I don’t want to tell friends about this stuff lest they label me paranoid or something. This forum seems like the right place to discuss it.

Reply To: Very creepy scratching sounds across my carpet
Your information:

Cancel