State of emergency in St. John the Baptist Parish as brain-eating amoeba were found in water supply.
The state of emergency called by the parish school board is simply a measure that will allow them to secure the supply of bottled drinking water for the students quickly.
It’s been already two weeks now since Naegleria fowleri was discovered in the water supply that serves over 12,500 residents. Efforts continue to eradicate the potentially fatal pest from the water.
Naegleria fowleri is a single-celled organism that lives in warm, fresh waters throughout the world. If a person comes into contact with the brain-eating bacteria a severe and often fatal infection known as Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) will developp. The symptoms of PAM – severe frontal headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, followed by stiff neck, seizures, altered mental state, hallucinations, and coma – can progress very quickly.
It’s important to note that there’s no threat of infection from drinking water contaminated with this amoeba. The organism simply cannot make it’s way to the brain from the digestive system. It’s only when contaminated water goes up the nose that infection becomes possible. The supply of bottled water will prevent any accidental exposure, such as water being splashed from a faucet or spraying from a drinking fountain.
Naegleria fowleri has a rather notorious history in the United States, where it’s claimed the lives of 129 of the total 132 people who have become infected over the years.
The brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri is not only dangerous, but also looks terrifying! Take care!