Reply To: What is this loud noise over Joliet, Illinois

Home Forums Mystery Booms and Loud Rumblings What is this loud noise over Joliet, Illinois Reply To: What is this loud noise over Joliet, Illinois

A

Joliet Patch

JOLIET, IL — A jet engine-like noise that concerned many residents in Joliet and outside communities Monday evening appears to be the result of gas being released from a pressure valve.

Joliet Police Chief Brian Benton, citing a report he heard on WJOL, said “they learned it was gas being released from a pressure valve at the refinery on South Larkin.”

Patch was unable to independently verify that claim. A phone message left with the NRG Joliet Generating Station, which is located at 1800 Channahon Rd. near South Larkin, was not immediately returned.

Several people described the noise as sounding like a loud jet engine or a low-flying plane. It could be heard between Jefferson and Theodore, Raynor and Midland, and Larkin and Route 30.

“At about 9:30 p.m. there was a really loud roaring sound over the six corners area in Joliet,” one resident said. “It sounded like a large commercial plane engine but it was fading in and out, it was an intense roaring. As I looked outside, I saw people across the street looking up at the sky. My neighbors were also outside so I felt compelled to look too. We didn’t see anything but it was just strange and unsettling.”