Dogs have mysteriously died after playing in Belton Lake in Texas

3
74

Officials in Texas are investigating reports of dogs dying shortly after playing in Belton Lake.

Dogs have reportedly died after playing in Belton Lake in Texas
Dogs have reportedly died after playing in Belton Lake in Texas. Picture via Star Telegram

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has asked visitors to refrain from letting their pets drink the water or swim at the lake located about 10 miles west of Temple.

It follows a Facebook post Sunday from Delaney Presley, who said her 6-month-old dog died after a swim in the lake. A veterinarian told Presley two others dogs also died after experiencing similar symptoms as her dog, Koda.

Mysterious deaths

The reason for Koda’s death is unknown, but the vet said that it killed him within 30 minutes of when it entered his blood stream,” Presley wrote on Facebook. “Kody seized and then began to lose all strength throughout his body. It was an 11-minute drive to the vet and he was dead within minutes of arriving.

The corps is teaming up with Texas Park and Wildlife Department officials and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality in its investigation.

Officials observed normal coloring of the water Monday with “no visual indication of a harmful algae bloom,” according to a news release.

Lake water has been sampled and will be tested and analyzed to determine if something in it is dangerous, officials said.

Contaminants that will be tested for include cyanobacteria, which is referred to as blue-green algae, corps official Joshua Brown told KCEN. Cyanobacteria is not visible to the naked eye but can be toxic to dogs and humans, according to the American Kennel Club.

Similar events occurred near Lake Travis, Texas 2 weeks ago, due to the presence of blue-green algae.

Brown was aware of three dogs that died after swimming in the lake following last month’s winter storm.

I don’t know what is in the lake, but it is something bad,” Presley said. “Hold your pets close and love and cherish them.” Read more: Star Telegram.

Now subscribe to my new newsletter to get more amazing news curated just for you right in your inbox on a daily basis (here an example of our new newsletter).

You can also follow us on Facebook and/ or Twitter. And, by the way you can also make a donation through Paypal. Thank you!

 

3 COMMENTS

  1. Probably some toxins. People probably throw away their used meth lab chemicals, and then the animals get sick from it, and die?

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.