A Tennessee woman says she went to a nail salon to get a manicure…
But left with a flesh-eating bacteria that almost caused her to lose her hand.
Jayne Sharp, of Knoxville, was getting a manicure earlier this year when she felt a prick. She said she didn’t think anything of it.
Within hours, Sharp says her thumb started to swell and she felt like she had the flu.
The next morning, the swelling had made it all the way up Sharp’s elbow and she was taken to the emergency room, where she received terrifying news: the ailment was necrotizing fasciitis.
“I’m just lucky to be alive,” she said.
Sharp had multiple surgeries performed in Knoxville and Nashville, but she said it took months for her to feel normal. She added that her thumb is still numb and looks a bit different than before.
You can find a map of some of the 2019 fleash-eating bacteria cases in the U.S.