The sinabung volcano, located in the province of Karo on Sumatra in Indonesia, exploded violently between 6:42 a.m. to 8:20 a.m. WIB on March 2, 2021, sending a cloud of gas and ash 5,000 meters in the air.
The power explosions also produced 13 pyroclastic flows, that hurled 2,000 to 5,000 meters down the southeast slope of the volcanic peak… Like a nuclear explosion!
Timelapse Awan Panas Guguran #Sinabung – Sumatera Utara pic.twitter.com/ojqLhX45tQ
— MAGMA Indonesia (@id_magma) March 2, 2021
This new eruption prompt officials to raise the aviation code is red.
Gunung Sinabung pagi Ini. pic.twitter.com/07ZDEanZaI
— Gading (@GadingGinting) March 2, 2021
Similar to Catania near the currently exploding Etna volcano in Italy, ashfall – up to 3 cm thick – was reported in various villages around the volcano.
Meanwhile, the ash cloud is drifting west.
The seismicity of March 2 between 00 and 6 a.m. was characterized by:
– 1 eruption earthquake, with an amplitude of 40 mm, and a duration of 191 seconds.
– 13 earthquakes linked to pyroclastic flows, with an amplitude of 120 mm and a duration of 143-485 seconds.
– 35 collapse / avalanche earthquakes, with an amplitude of 10-65 mm and a duration of 22-160 seconds.
– 23 low frequency earthquakes, with an amplitude of 5-25 mm and the duration of the earthquake was 10-40 seconds.
– 1 remote tectonic earthquake
– 1 continuous tremor episode with an amplitude of 2-5 mm.
The activity level remains at 3 / siaga with prohibitions of 3 to 5 km., depending on the flanks concerned. [Earth of Fire]
This eruption of Etna volcano in Italy is amazing too…
Now subscribe to this blog to get more amazing news curated just for you right in your inbox on a daily basis (here an example of our new newsletter).
You can also follow us on Facebook and/ or Twitter. And, by the way you can also make a donation through Paypal. Thank you!
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings
The main picture actually looks like a giant elephant’s head…