Scientists Identify Second More Aggressive Strain of the Coronavirus Indicating it Has Already Mutated

0
1601

Chinese researchers say they have found a second more aggressive strain of COVID-19.

And that means the new coronavirus has already mutated… At least once!

two strains coronavirus mutation, Chinese scientists discover 2 strains of the new coronavirus showing it has already mutated
Chinese scientists discover 2 strains of the new coronavirus showing it has already mutated.

The new Chinese research shows that there are two strains of the novel coronavirus that has already killed more than 3,350 people and infected more than 98,000 across the globe. 

The new more aggressive strain has infected roughly 70 percent of those tested, while a less aggressive strain was linked to the remaining 30 percent. 

The “L type” coronavirus strain

Researchers named the aggressive strain “L type,” and the less potent “S type.”

The L type strain was mostly reported in Wuhan, China, but its frequency has since decreased from early January. 

However, the same scientists say the variations of the spike in COVID-19 cases is linked to “mutations and natural selection besides recombination.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Wednesday confirmed at least 129 cases of the coronavirus and 10 deaths in the U.S.

Meanwhile, researchers who have discovered why the Ebola drug remdesivir is effective in treating the coronaviruses that cause Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) expect it might also be effective for treating patients infected with the new COVID-19 strain.

Although the data in this study are still very limited, it’s alarming to see how fast this freaking coronavirus mutates. More coronavirus news on Strange Sounds and Steve Quayle. [Oxford Academic, Guardian]

Follow us: Facebook and Twitter. By the way you can also support us on Paypal. Please and thank you!

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.