Mystery booms is a phenomenon that has been heard and reported for centuries.
These loud booms or explosions rattle windows, houses and even shake people when they occur. And most of the time the origin of the rumbling sound remains unexplained.
In recent years, the phenomenon has been increasingly covered in the media, although these booming noises have been reported throughout history and around the world.
For example, the “Seneca guns” are loud booms that rattle residents for decades along North Carolina’s Outer Banks as well as around New York’s Catskill Mountains near the vicinity of Lake Seneca. Elsewhere around the world, Greenland has its deep, foghorn-like noises called “Ton der Dove-Bai,” the Bay of Bengal has its “Bansal guns”, Shikoku, Japan has booms known as “yan”, in Italy they are called “bronditi” and the Belgium’s thunderous phenomenon is called mistpouffers.
What causes the mystery booms?
The origin of the loud rumbling noises remain enigmatic almost all of the time. Skyquakes may have different origins:
- In coastal regions, large waves crashing on the beach or cliffs can create loud bangs. It seems that reports of thunderous sounds are apparently common among big-wave surfers in the US.
- Other people report mysterious booms accompanying tsunamis – sometimes alongside mysterious fire balls. This may indicate that both comes from a belch of methane erupting from “clathrate” crystals on the ocean floor. Imagine if that ignites somehow…
- Sand dunes can produce a variety of low-level whispering, whistling, singing, humming, or squeaking sounds, and less commonly, loud booming sounds.
- Earthquakes are known to produce booming sound and rumbling. Although sounds of deep earthquakes are too low for human hearing, shallow jolts transmit audible noises of the cracking crust.
- Sonic booms: Army jets and meteor explosions can produce damaging loud booms as the pass the speed of sound or explode through the atmosphere.
- Military exercises
- other man-made origins: gas explosions, fires, tanerite, firearms, shooting, fireworks, parties
Below, you fill find a list of the latest mysterious booms for 2020. If you want to go back in history, we have compiled the longest list of mysterious booms and rumblings from 1930 to 2019.
Loud Booms January 2020
January 24, 2020 – Deadly explosion rocks Houston – Strange Sounds
January 21, 2020 – Explosions in Portage la Prairie, Canada – Portage Online
January 20, 2020 – Earthquake booms as M3.8 quake shakes East Tennessee – Strange Sounds
January 18, 2020 – Loud booming sounds rattle Columbia Couty, Pennsylvania – Facebook
January 17, 2020 – Fros quakes for Quad Cities in Illinois and Iowa – WQAD
January 15, 2020 – Very loud mystery booms rock Cape Fear region, North Carolina – WECT
January 14, 2020 – Loud booming sound rattles residents of Rock Springs, South Carolina – WSPA
January 13, 2020 – Unexplained loud boom rocks Richmond, Indiana – KICKS 96
January 12, 2020 – What’s Up With All These Mysterious Booms in Mason City, Iowa? Youtube
January 8, 2020 – 3 loud booms rattle Jacksonville, Florida – Reddit
January 8, 2020 – Suspicious booming noises heard in Bowling Green, Ohio – Sentinel Tribune
January 5, 2020 – Loud booms in Austin, Texas from the implosion of the old University Towers student housing complex. – Patch
Fort Benning conducts weapons training throughout January 2020 – WTVM
Training Advisory for January 3 through January 17, 2020 at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Virginia – Military
January 2, 2020 – Powerful meteor explosion rattles windows and homes in Saratoga County, New York – News10
For more mystery booms check out the If you want to go back in history, we have compiled the longest list of mysterious booms and rumblings from 1930 to 2019. Please comment and add the loud booming sounds that I have forgotten. Thanks